Best carpet cleaner 2022: review (top 18) popular products
Properly selected carpet on the floor is a decoration of any room. To make it last as long as possible, pleasing to the eye and acting as a pleasant floor covering to the touch, it should be properly cared for and cleaned in a timely manner.
Carpet care rules
Following a few simple rules will extend the life of any rug:
- Do not lay on a wet floor after wet cleaning;
- Regularly, once a week, vacuum both sides: first on the back side, then on the outside;
- If the flooring is square, it is appropriate to rotate it periodically to prevent possible abrasions in the points of greatest stress;
- Under the legs of heavy furniture standing on the carpet it is advisable to put pieces of soft rubber;
- Carry out seasonal treatments in the fresh air: in summer – airing, knocking out the dust; in winter – carrying out this procedure in the spread out on the snow;
- If a new preparation is used, it is advisable to test it on a small area first;
- Avoid boiling water, rough brushes, excessive dampness; anti-lint treatments;
- Conduct deep cleaning at least once a year.
Peculiarities of cleaning carpets at home
For positive results, it is important to consider the material. The most common ones are:
Wool is an environmentally friendly material, warm, flexible, but very capricious. Therefore, special care and care should be taken when cleaning. Thanks to the water- and dirt-repellent qualities, the wool coating retains its original appearance for a long time, but gradually begins to fade. Choosing a product, it is appropriate to give preference to those that do not contain dyes and bleaches. It is better to dry wool rugs directly on the floor, as drying on the weight or in bright sunlight will lead to deformation.
Viscose is soft and light, it is not electrified, and retains its original color for a long time. However, it has its own subtleties in care. The fact that it is very capricious: it is afraid of moisture, alkali and chlorine. Knocks and friction are destructive for viscose carpets. It is better to use gentle products, minimum moisture and soft brushes. The downside of viscose carpets is that over time they turn yellow, and it is very difficult to fix this on your own.
Synthetics are resistant to fading and wiping. The main synthetic materials used in carpet weaving are polyester, polyamide and acrylic, which are easy to care for and permanently retain their color saturation. Carpet made of synthetic material is not afraid to be vacuumed, beaten out, damp cleaned, brushed. If it does not have an adhesive backing, it can be washed, dried in a hanging position or elevated above the floor.
Criteria for choosing a carpet cleaner
With regular maintenance using vacuuming and whipping, there comes a time when cleaning is necessary. There are usually three occasions when this happens:
- There is an unpleasant smell coming from the carpet;
- A stain has accidentally appeared;
- The carpet has become dirty over time.
This is where cleaning products from the best manufacturers come in to help bring back the original brightness, cleanliness and beauty.
Let’s consider how to choose the right product, what to pay attention to when buying. After all, mistakes in the choice can lead to damage to the product.
The main criterion is the intended use:
- for disinfection – with a special component that kills parasites and bacteria;
- for daily cleaning – with a minimum concentration of the active cleaning component;
- for stain removal – concentrates, with active oxygen, must be biodegradable and not cause allergies;
- for elimination of foreign odors – with antibacterial components that neutralize the source of odor and absorb it;
- to restore the brightness of colors – means with waxes and conditioners.
An important selection criterion – classification by texture. A distinction is made between:
- dry (powders) – the most convenient to use, are gentle for the pile, acceptable for cleaning wool carpets. The powder is able to pull dirt from deep layers of the fabric, absorb extraneous odors. Dry cleaning can do without water. The remains of the powder after application are collected with a vacuum cleaner.
- liquid (shampoos, foams) – the most popular for wet cleaning: remove dirt, return brightness, fight with stains. Liquid preparations dissolve quickly, are easy to apply and remove from the surface. However, to remove tough dirt, you must repeat the cleaning process several times, with an increased consumption of the product.
- Foam – used to remove heavy dirt and stubborn stains. Foam cleaning is characterized by low water consumption, it is quick and easy.
- spray – is very convenient for single stains removal.
- soap – is the least popular because of the inconvenient application to the surface of the carpet. However, soap is very effective in fighting dirt and stains.
Recommendations for the use of carpet cleaners
When buying household chemicals for carpet cleaning, the following recommendations will help:
- The product should perform its primary function without damaging the color, structure and surface of the product;
- Absence in the chemical composition of abrasive substances that can hard particles damage the carpet and cause allergies;
- Conformity of the product to the material from which the carpet is made;
- Universal cleaners are contraindicated to natural products;
- Choose popular brands, not necessarily expensive in price;
- For deep cleaning it is better to use powders, sprays and soaps, for regular care and prevention – foams and shampoos;
- Do not use household detergents (washing powders, dishwashing detergents or window cleaners) that are not designed for carpet and upholstery cleaning.
Tips for using carpet cleaners:
- Clean the surface of dust and debris;
- prepare a working solution in warm water up to 40 degrees;
- shake with a sponge to form a thick foam;
- Apply the foam with a brush or sponge, rubbing in a circular or sweeping motion;
- move around visually broken up areas of the carpet, when removing stains – from the center to the periphery;
- After application, leave it to work for the time specified in the instructions;
- After drying remove the rest of the product with a vacuum cleaner.
Important: do not apply the new product to the entire surface, it is better to test on a small area. In this way, you can find out whether the carpet will not deteriorate after cleaning: whether the product does not cause discoloration of colors, whether it removes odors, whether it is suitable for the material from which the carpet is made, whether it will not lead to deformation of the product.
You can also easily check whether the cleaner forms a protective layer on the surface of the carpet or, on the contrary, will leave a sticky residue to which dust and dirt will begin to adhere. To do this, a little detergent is poured into a container. After a few hours, pour it out and dry the container naturally, without rinsing. If the walls will remain sticky – it is better not to use the product.
The best shampoos for cleaning carpets
PROSEPT Carpet DryClean
The effective PROSEPT Carpet DryClean is designed for cleaning carpets, upholstered furniture made of synthetic and natural fabrics. The unique formula of dry foam tackles all kinds of stains. Suitable for cleaning: carpeting, upholstery of upholstered furniture, rugs, car seats.
The concentrate is dissolved in water, to form an abundant foam. Diluted in water to create a rich foam. With the help of a brush is applied to the soiled areas or to the entire surface of the product. In 3-5 minutes the foam dries up. Removes the product by hand with a brush or vacuum cleaner. The concentrated shampoo is enough for up to 25 times of use.
Together with the reasonable price, PROSEPT Carpet DryClean can be called the best in terms of price/quality ratio. This is confirmed by numerous positive reviews in online stores. Buyers note that carpets are cleaned the first time, it is noticeable by the changed color of the foam. The product seems to absorb all the dirt into itself (darkens), leaving the carpet clean.
- Universal product, suitable for all types of fabrics;
- removes all types of stains;
- suitable for light-colored and colored fabrics;
- American manufacturer;
- removes odors.
Thanks to its innovative composition, the shampoo of the American manufacturer deeply cleans and prevents the wear and tear of the carpet. The special active additive Scotchgard envelopes the product after cleaning, forming an additional protection against dust, stains and germs. Bissell does not contain phosphates, chlorofluorocarbons and caustic alkali.
The product is designed for cleaning carpets, upholstered furniture, together with full-size vacuum cleaners. Despite the gentle natural and hypoallergenic composition, after using such a shampoo, not even a hint of stains will remain on the treated surface. Concentrated 1.5 liters of product, corresponds to 3 liters of normal solution.
- good, safe composition;
- pleasant citrus aroma;
- Does away with pet odours;
- double concentrate;
- Additional protective coating due to special additive;
- Can be connected to all brands of vacuum cleaners.
Shampoo Clever Attack is a German brand of household chemicals, produced in Poland. European quality standards of the product, confirmed by a certificate of safety. The product can be used in all living areas. Shampoo gently cares for the surface of all kinds of soft surfaces, whether it is carpet, sofa or other furniture upholstery. After cleaning, the product returns the faded fibers of products, the original appearance and protects against re-contamination for a long time.
The shampoo is dissolved in water to form an abundant and thick foam, which is in turn applied to the soiled surface. After drying, the product is removed in any convenient way. Due to the anti-static effect, users note that products after cleaning, practically cease to accumulate dust.
- easy to apply;
- does not leave streaks;
- restores fabrics to their former gloss;
- antistatic effect.
- Does not handle stubborn stains well.
Vanish Gold deservedly ranks among the best carpet cleaners, not only because of the promotional advertising, but also because of its ability to cope with heavy dirt. The shampoo is diluted with water, at a ratio of 1 to 9. It is intended for manual cleaning. Available in volumes of 100, 450 and 750 ml.
It is thick enough to cope not only with dirt, but also with unpleasant odors and pet hair. Just like the previous product, it has European quality certificates. The international brand is produced in Poland. After using Vanish Gold, carpets become extra soft and fresh.
- copes well with dirt;
- Maintains rich colors of the product;
- antibacterial formula;
- Fights all kinds of odors;
- can be purchased at any mass market;
- dries quickly.
- odor is for fans;
- Not suitable for cleaning products made of brocade, velvet, silk;
- Foam settles quickly.
Pro-Brite Extractor shampoo plus
A professional product for cleaning synthetic textiles. The product is used for cleaning of floor coverings in trade centers, medical, educational and other establishments. It is possible to use the product at home. It is mandatory to apply the diluted product on the product, wearing special clothing and gloves, because the product contains alkaline substances. In spite of the frightening chemical constituents, the product is able to cope with any type of dirt like no other.
“Dry cleaning at home” is done by hand or with a vacuum cleaner. The concentrated product is diluted 1:30 when working with a machine and 1:100 with a manual method of cleaning. The unadvertised product of the domestic manufacturer is available at a very attractive price.
- strong concentrate;
- the product can be used manually and with extractors (washing vacuum cleaners);
- professional product, will replace expensive dry-cleaning;
- preserves the colors of the items;
- does not destroy the nap;
- biodegradable product.
- Strong chemical composition;
- Requires the use of gloves/overalls;
- does not foam well;
- not suitable for natural fabrics;
- not the most pleasant odor.
The best carpet cleaning powders
Multi-purpose product, can be used not only for cleaning carpets and palaces, but also for upholstered furniture made of velour, flock, tapestry. The product does a good job of cleaning the car interior (carpets, seat covers, seats). The manufacturers labeled Udalix as a cleaner for the entire home and even outerwear/shoes made of suede, drape, nubuck, crepe. In numerous online reviews, users note that the powder does an excellent job of cleaning, eliminating odors. At the same time, after use, there is no intrusive smell of the product itself.
The powder is diluted at the rate of 1 tablespoon per 1 liter of water. Powder is dissolved at the rate of 1 tablespoon of water. The resulting foam is applied to the surface and treated for 3-4 minutes. After drying (40-50 minutes) the cleaner is removed with a vacuum cleaner or shaken.
- attractive price;
- hypoallergenic composition;
- economical consumption;
- universal cleaner for cleaning different products;
- it eliminates odors;
- a large number of positive reviews.
KARCHER RM 760
German manufacturer, is a recognized specialist in cleanliness. Karcher specialists have developed an effective powder detergent for cleaning flooring and furniture for their branded vacuum cleaners. As noted by users, the powder is acceptable to use in conjunction with other vacuum cleaner extractors.
Ecologically safe composition, does not harm the environment and human health. The product does not contain bleaching agents, which means that it is gentle and does not damage the color of the products. The product is able to remove heavily oil (grease) pollution. Copes with stains of different origin without damaging the fibers of the fabric.
- Completely soluble even in cold water;
- economical consumption;
- Retains color of the product;
- Safe composition;
- removes odors.
- high price;
- only for washing machines; cannot be used manually;
- Powder must be rinsed out twice with clean water according to the instructions.
Detergents for a vacuum cleaner
This category includes special compositions that are used in washing vacuum cleaners and deeply clean the lint. They fight all kinds of dirt. In addition to shampoo, these products include a foam neutralizer, otherwise the foam can leak out and cause a short circuit.
Read also: 10 best furniture and carpet cleaners
Grass Carpet foam cleaner
Grass Carpet foam cleaner refers to universal products that are suitable for cleaning different surfaces. It is particularly suitable for carpets and heavily soiled carpets. The cleaner penetrates deeply into the nap and removes all kinds of dirt. In concentrated form it can be used as a stain remover. The cleaner copes with the most difficult stains, including those caused by grease, earth, blood and drinks. It also removes unpleasant odors.
In addition to carpets, the product efficiently cleans various fabrics, velour and imitation leather. It can be used to wash things made of plastic and glass. The cleaner is characterized by low foaming, so it is well suited for use in a vacuum cleaner. The foam will not overfill the tank, nor will it leak out. This also makes it safe to use. The cleaning procedure itself can be done either automatically, when the solution is poured into the vacuum cleaner, or manually.
- cleans effectively;
- easy to rinse out;
- pleasant smell;
- does not foam too much;
- low consumption.
- dries hands;
- May not get rid of old stains.
I bought it for my Kerher K5, used it with a foamer, everything is super, plenty of foam, rinses out well. I used my hand dryer 5 carpets and it washes out great, the smell is nice and unobtrusive, gets out fast, so I am one hundred percent satisfied. I even washed synthetic and wool rugs and nothing faded.
I used Vanish for carpets before it. This product works the first time and does not have to rub as hard and removes all tough stains, including stains from blueberry jam, which vanish could not remove completely. By the way, vanish also used, because the foam is difficult to achieve, and the effect of it is dubious). I will continue to order this miracle solution.
KARCHER Damp Carpet Cleaner RM 519
This product is also one of the universal ones. It is primarily suitable for carpets, but it also cleans furniture well and deeply. One of the advantages of the cleaner is that you can use the carpet again almost immediately after washing it. The KARCHER RM 519 is quite safe and odorless. As a result, even animals react calmly to the product. Still, after use, it is worth rinsing it off thoroughly with water if you have people with hypersensitivity or asthma at home. In other cases, it does not need to be rinsed off.
This home carpet cleaner is good for removing stains, including problematic or stale stains. It dries quickly after use. It refers to concentrates. The amount used depends on the degree of soiling and varies from 100 to 200 ml. After adding it to the tank, refill with clean water.
- high-quality cleaning;
- convenient packaging;
- easy to rinse out.
- May cause itching;
- needs to be thoroughly rinsed off in case of hypersensitivity and asthma;
- small volume.
Svetlana D No odor. Cleaned the couch (a very dirty couch. ). When cleaning came out a dirty brown sludge. I have never seen so much dirt so clearly. After letting the product stand, you need to rinse well with water, although there is no smell, but, for asthmatics is sensitive. A very good product, in my opinion.
I use it for vacuum cleaner Thomas Twin T1, I get great result, no more foamy, no more smelly chemicals, 100% quality result, on a 3/6 meter long palace it took one third of the time, I use three times a bottle. I also vacuumed my carpets after cleaning, the water in the aqua filtration system is squeaky clean, which means that the chemistry does its job perfectly.
Vanish Shampoo for Vacuum Cleaner Gold
This shampoo is also designed to remove dirt that penetrates deep into the nap and cannot be removed by other products. This includes all kinds of dirt, dust, and even pet hair. Also, Gold shampoo for vacuum cleaners allows you to cope with the odors left behind by pets. Carpets feel fresher, their pile is softer and more pleasant to the touch after cleaning. Other unpleasant odours caused by dirt are also eliminated.
It helps to make cleaning more efficient than using a vacuum cleaner alone. It can also be used to treat furniture upholstery. But the shampoo is quite foamy, so you should be careful to pour it into the tank so that the foam doesn’t end up leaking out. Before using, test the product on an inconspicuous area of the carpet to make sure the paint won’t wash off. The shampoo is not suitable for handmade carpets and delicate fabrics.
- cleans well;
- pleasant smell;
- gets rid of stains;
- refreshes the color.
Oksana B. It smells good. Well, about the strong action of course I would argue. I cleaned the kitchen carpet. It has all sorts of stains. The kids got all over it. And Vanish didn’t get it all out. I applied it, though. I waited. Then I scrubbed with a stiff brush. And some stains remained.
Maria M. It did a good job on stubborn stains from the old carpet and freshened up the color. Had to scrub with a brush and then pick up the moisture with a damp vacuum cleaner. Let’s see how the treated carpet will stick to new dirt. I’m not thrilled with it, but it worked well.
Help Carpet Cleaner for Washable Vacuum Cleaners
This option also cleans a variety of types of carpets and rugs, as well as upholstered furniture. The cleaner always penetrates deep into the nap, removes dirt, also copes with dust. After washing, unpleasant odors disappear and are replaced by a fresh scent. Even with stubborn dirt, the carpets are refreshed and more pleasant to use.
This carpet cleaner is designed for both vacuuming and manual cleaning. It is a concentrate that comes in a 1-liter package. Such amount will suffice for a long time, and the price of means is quite low. As a result, you can even save money when using this product. After cleaning, it does not need to be washed off, but it is better to do this if there are asthmatics, people with hypersensitivity in the house.
- affordable price;
- cleans well;
- no smell after cleaning;
- convenient to use.
- May not remove unpleasant odors.
KVAgA F. Awesome cleaner. Brought my husband a seat from the car (whole ) Previously cleaned with powders – sat down, heat, waited for heat. Poured into a sprayer, diluted, sprayed, after 20 minutes, rubbed a couple of times and washed off. The effect – wow. I do the same with chairs and carpets. I also clean carpets and carpets with a vacuum cleaner.
Zoya It’s good to clean the carpet. I’ll have to buy more, as it wasn’t enough for the whole carpet, and the difference is very noticeable.
Top House Detergent Vacuum Cleaner Shampoo
The following product was developed in Germany specifically for cleaning jobs that require you to clean carpets. Also, Top House shampoo will be convenient to use and to wash other similar surfaces. This is the upholstery of furniture, various floor coverings. This product can no longer be classified as a budget product, but its price is due to the high quality of washing and the result.
First of all, the shampoo removes different types of dirt, including old, deep-rooted and problematic ones. As a result, the carpet or any other covering gets a fresh look. Even their colors become brighter, because cleaning actually renews them. Shampoo has a disinfectant property, it destroys pathogenic bacteria, so the carpet can be used again safely. Unpleasant odors also go away. It not only removes existing dirt, but also prevents the appearance of new dirt.
- effective cleaning;
- Does not produce a pungent smell;
- does not foam hard;
- does not leave streaks.
- May not remove old stains;
Name hidden It cleans satisfactorily. The price is rather biting, considering the high consumption of the product. The smell is pleasant, moderately foamy. I can’t judge about antibacterial properties. I use it in a Thomas vacuum cleaner.
Irina K. If I follow the dosage, nothing foams, Thomas Twin TT vacuum cleaner. It does not leave any streaks. I didn’t really like the smell, I don’t even know how to describe it. Some kind of glue for wallpaper along with detergent. But still better value than buying the original Thomas cleaner, so happy with the purchase.
Dry cleaning provides the coatings with the most delicate, gentle care, not allowing the material to get wet. True, by no means always such influence turns out to be effective, and the majority of such means simply cannot remove stale dirt. Foam, on the other hand, refreshes the shade of the nap, combats unpleasant greasy look and absorbed odors.
KARCHER RM 760
Powders are considered the most convenient to use. They are ideal for lint and wool, pull stains out of the deepest layers of the material, and absorb unpleasant odors. It is best to pick up powder residue with a vacuum cleaner.
An effective powder that can remove all types of dirt. Generally, it is intended for use with the brand KARCHER vacuum cleaner, but it is also suitable for manual cleaning. The biodegradable product is absolutely safe for allergic people, small children and pets. It contains no hazardous chemicals, and its mildly alkaline formula is excellent for cleaning any carpet. The consumption of the cleaning powder is very small: you only need 100 gr. of the product for 10 liters of water. The resulting solution will be enough for 25-30 sq.m. of coverage. And even at such a low concentration, KARCHER effectively removes almost any stains – no matter how long ago they were removed. Many consumers consider this powder the best carpet cleaner, flawlessly suitable for home use.
10 /10Rating Pros.
- Biodegradable safe formulation
- Mild unobtrusive fragrance
- Leaves no residue
- No rinse out required
- Measuring cup included in the kit
- High efficacy
- Lowest flow rate
- Highly dries the skin
- Hardly available on the market
KARCHER RM 7602 Carpet Cleaner
PROSEPT Carpet DryClean
Ideal for cleaning long pile carpets. The concentrate is diluted with water and easily beaten to a thick, dense foam. The product should stay on the carpet for only 5 minutes, after which the detached dirt can be removed with a sponge or vacuum cleaner. By the end of the procedure, the carpet will be absolutely dry and clean. Despite such simple use, the gel is really successful even with grease and grass marks. In addition, in addition to the highest efficiency, the product can boast economical consumption. Only 20-30 ml of concentrate is needed for 5-6 liters of water.
9.9 /10-rating Pros
- Speed of action
- Allows coat to dry quickly
- Refreshes the shade of the pile
- Leaves no residue
- Cost effective
- Economical consumption
- Highest efficiency
- Easy to apply
- Strong odor
- It is not easy to completely remove the foam
PROSEPT Carpet DryClean3
The reliable cleaner with oxygen bleach. Udalix cleans effectively not only carpets, but also furniture upholstery. In addition, it behaves equally well in both hand and machine washing. Enzymes in the budget detergent help remove grease residue, grass stains, blood and various sauces, as well as tea, wine and coffee stains. Moreover, you can use the formula to clean the car interior, all kinds of home textiles and even outerwear. True, to remove stubborn stains, you can hardly do without one procedure, because, unfortunately, this powder does not work miracles.
9.6 /10-rating Pros
- Slow consumption
- Hypoallergenic formula
- Often found in stores
- Funny price
- Pleasant fragrance
- Takes some time to remove stubborn stains
- Only effective in hot water
Udalix carpet cleaner
Stain removers easily cope even with hard-to-remove dirt, remove stains left by chemicals, and are famous for their economical consumption. They easily penetrate deep into carpets and push dirt particles out from the inside. You can find a lot of different stain removers on sale in the form of sprays, concentrates and powders. We have selected for you the three most effective products for fighting stubborn stains.
A quality cleaner should not contain abrasives that can damage the structure of the surface and even provoke allergies.
A powerful, natural cleaner that cleans your carpet in minutes. It contains no phosphates, chlorine, sulfates or any other harmful components. So it is absolutely safe for pets and little kids alike. At the same time, the gentle composition easily removes even the most difficult dirt from carpets and furniture upholstery. You do not even need to rub stains after spraying – everything comes off by itself. The unique formula easily and effortlessly removes dirt without damaging the material. Once the foam has done its job, you can wipe off the dirt with a cloth or sponge. According to experts, Eco mist is a great solution for families with children. After all, new stains appear in such homes almost every day, and there isn’t much time left to remove them.
9.9 /10-rating Pros
- Natural and safe ingredients
- No streaking
- No need to make any effort
- Unobtrusive fragrance
- Can be used without gloves
- High efficacy
- Not suitable for carpets with long pile
Eco mist2 carpet cleaner
A universal stain remover that works effectively even with stubborn stains. It is gentle on synthetic and tufted carpets, preserving their structure, lushness and shade. According to reviews, the tool fairly quickly eliminates stubborn stains. However, with particularly complex stains, the shampoo should be left for at least half an hour. The stain remover has an unobtrusive citrus flavor and foams very well. It can even be used in the washing machine, by adding a little shampoo to the corresponding compartment.
9.8 /10rating Pros
- Hypoallergenic composition
- Suitable for both hand and machine washing
- Great deals with unpleasant odours
- Economical consumption
- Pleasant fragrance
- Low cost
- Effective on tough stains
- Hardly available on the market
Carpet cleaner TUBA3
A good inexpensive stain remover for spot application. Despite its low cost, the budget cleaner copes with the removal of any, even the most stubborn stains. According to reviews, the active foam really works quickly and effectively. It has a pleasant unobtrusive fragrance and is easily applied to the lint. However, to get the expected result you will have to work a little harder – the stain will not disappear by itself after the application of shampoo. But the stain remover can boast a economical consumption, affordable price and high efficiency.
9.7 /10-rating Pros
- Removes static electricity
- Affordable price tag
- Convenient dispenser
- Has a light fragrance
- Tough to rinse out
- Takes effort to clean
- Can only be used with gloves on
What to look for
Your carpet has long needed a “general cleaning”, but you do not know which product to choose from a huge variety of products? If so, our experienced hosts can advise you on the criteria for choosing the right cleaner for you, so that you don’t get confused and buy the one that you need.
Before buying, carefully study the label. It always states what material the product is suitable for, what kind of dirt removes, for which pile length is intended, how safe for humans and pets.
Cleaner for carpets and upholstery should always be matched to the specific type of fabric.
- For wool fibers, you need special products that are labeled “For wool products. They do not contain bleaching components, have a neutral composition. It is recommended to use products that form a thick foam.
- For viscose it is preferable to buy a cleaner with a neutral detergent composition – powder or foam. Try not to rub with hard brushes or soak the surface.
- For natural cotton and linen, dry cleaners that do not contain chlorine are appropriate.
- Synthetics (polyester, polypropylene, acrylic, polyamide, etc.) can be supplied with any dry or wet cleaner.
- Jute (natural plant fiber) is best cleaned with specialized products labeled “For jute carpets. They do not contain chlorine or alkali.
- For products made of natural fur (animal skins) use only dry powder or folk remedies – cleaning with vinegar, glycerin, hydrogen peroxide, ammonia.
If you choose a means for daily prophylactic cleaning, it should have a minimum concentration of active substances, to reduce its effect on the brightness of the colors and not to damage the structure of the fibers. But for stain removal cleaner, on the contrary, should have an aggressive composition.
Any kind of household chemicals are not safe, so with caution use carpet cleaners if you have small children or pets in the house. Give preference to a hypoallergenic composition.
Washable vacuum cleaner applications
If you are the lucky owner of a washable vacuum cleaner, it will be much easier to clean the carpet than by hand. There are many quality carpet cleaning products that penetrate deeply into the pile and clean dirt of various origins.
Since the tank at the vacuum cleaner is small, these shampoos should not form a lot of foam, otherwise it will get out and can lead to short circuits. To reduce foaming, use special compounds that work in tandem with shampoos.
You can purchase shampoos and antifoam agents for your vacuum cleaner at large hardware stores or online. Normal vacuum cleaner products are not suitable.
Cleaners should leave a pleasant, unobtrusive scent, or better yet, they should be completely odorless. Unfortunately, most cleaners can not boast about this, so after cleaning the room should be well aired.
If you need to remove a stain from the carpet, it is not necessary to clean it completely. It is enough to buy a spray stain remover, spot apply it to the carpet, rub it with a brush and remove the remnants with a napkin.
These formulas usually require washing afterward, so be careful with carpets that are afraid of moisture.
Do I Need a Rinse
The most popular products are those that need to be applied to the carpet, wait the allotted time, and then vacuum.
But some cleaners, such as stain removers, have in their composition aggressive components, which must necessarily be washed off.
How to clean the carpet at home
How to clean the carpet at home, if you forgot to buy Vanish for carpets or just do not accept household chemicals and prefer environmentally friendly ways of cleaning? You can use baking soda, vinegar and other handy materials that are in every home.
- Vinegar. Helps freshen color, removes gray plaque and organic dirt. Dilute two tablespoons of 9% vinegar in a liter of water. Moisten a brush with vinegar and run it over the entire surface. Unfortunately, this method will not work on heavy soiling.
- Soda and salt. Great for absorbing odors and removing mild stains. Mix one packet of baking soda with the same amount of fine Extra salt. Spread the powder liberally over the surface of the surface and leave it for half an hour. Moisten a brush or broom with warm water and sweep the mixture from the carpet, let it dry, then vacuum up the rest.
- Snow. Grandma’s old method, which will help to get rid of dust, refresh the color and infuse the fibers with freshness. Spread the rug out on untouched, deep snow face down. Throw more snow on top of the rug and shovel it well. Transfer to a new area and do the same, but place the carpet with the nap up. Thoroughly sweep away the snow with a brush or broom. If possible, leave the mat on the frost for at least a few hours, and better overnight – during this time all the dust mites, moths and other “critters” will die.
How to get rid of tough stains
Blood. If it’s fresh, it’s easily removed with a napkin and ice water. If it doesn’t work, pour baking soda on the stain and splash it with vinegar.
Old stain must first be scrubbed with a dry stiff brush, remove the scrubbed particles with a vacuum cleaner, and then treat with a soapy solution. It is made of half a liter of cold water and a tablespoon of liquid dish detergent (you can replace it with crushed brown soap).
If the blood is deeply embedded and won’t come off, dissolve two tablespoons of ammonia in a glass of cold water. Apply it to the stain and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes, then blot it with a cloth.
Ammonia should not be used on wool carpeting.
Wax. Drops of wax from burning candles got on the carpet after a romantic dinner? Wait until it has completely hardened, and then try to clean it off with a table knife or a regular spoon. Vacuum up the particles. Turn the iron on the lowest temperature setting, place a paper towel or towel on the wax stain, and iron. Hot wax is easily absorbed into the paper after several procedures. Don’t forget to change the wipes with clean ones each time.
If you cannot remove the wax completely, wipe the stain with alcohol, but first test on an inconspicuous area – on some fabrics, alcohol discolors the fibers.
Chewing gum. Wrap a few ice cubes in plastic wrap or cellophane bag. Put the bundle on the gum for a few minutes. Frozen gum can easily be scraped off with a table knife.
Urine. Do you have a puppy or kitten at home? Or a toddler walking around without a diaper? Then this method will be more relevant than ever.
Gently dab the wet spot with a washcloth. You can make it easier, put the filler from the cat litter, it absorbs not only the moisture, but also the scents.
Dilute vinegar in water at a ratio of one to three. Moisten the stain with the solution and then sprinkle with baking soda. On top, you can sprinkle hydrogen peroxide diluted with water at a ratio of one to two. Leave the resulting foam on for a couple of hours and then use a damp brush to remove any residue.
- Vacuum the carpets regularly to remove dust and small organic debris. Periodically go over it with a vacuum cleaner on the back side as well.
- Dry carpet cleaning is much preferable to wet carpet cleaning, especially if you have no place to dry the carpet. Moisture gives off an unpleasant odor, and in some cases, mold.
- Fresh stains are much easier to get rid of than stale ones. Don’t put off cleaning; deal with the stain as soon as it appears.
- Do not use laundry detergent for cleaning. You won’t be able to rinse it off properly, and it will leave a sticky surface that will attract new dirt.
- Dry clean viscose or woolen items, otherwise you risk damaging them.
- Any products bought in the store, test on an inconspicuous area – some carpets categorically do not accept chemicals.
Has your carpet gotten stained, lost its brightness, and looks like a turd? Don’t rush to get rid of it! Maybe with the help of inexpensive cleaners you can reanimate the carpet, and it will last for many years, giving comfort and saving your feet from drafts.
- Best carpet cleaner 2022: review (top 18) popular products
- The best shampoos for cleaning carpets
- The best carpet cleaning powders
- Detergents for a vacuum cleaner
- Dry cleaning
- Stain removers
- What to look for
- How to clean the carpet at home
- Useful Tips